Upright Wippen Replacement

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:33:13 -0500

I am rebuilding the action for a 1913 (or so) Mason & Hamlin upright. It has the dowel-capstan (no stickers) arrangement. The heel on the wippen is fairly tall. I am looking for advice on what is the best avenue for replacement. These things are pretty beat up - they would require complete rebuilding - obviously easier and cheaper if I can find replacements. From what I have seen in the Schaff and Pianotek catalogs I can get wippens that look like they would work except for the heel height - I could saw off my wippen heels and glue them on the new wippens, or use some type of add-on wippen heels. I could also get the Steinway wippen (it has a choice of tallish heels) and perhaps simply replace the flange.

It just occurred to me to check with M&H also. I will try that today as well. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Terry Farrell