partly loose bass bridge

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 16:21:17 -0500

Friends,

I need some advice.

The piano:  a 1972 Baldwin Acrosonic spinet with finger rail action.
The situation:  The bass bridge is unglued for about 5" in the first
octave, causing the lowest notes to sound horrid.  The rest of the bass
notes sound okay.

The potential dilemma:  It is possible that after I remove the bass
strings, with the intention of screwing and regluing the entire bass
bridge to the apron, part of the bridge is still firmly glued.  Yet, if
I try to work glue behind only the part that is separated, the part that
seems firmly glued now may come loose in the future.  I would like to
avoid a situation where I can't do a good job of regluing because the
whole bridge won't come off cleanly.  Am I making myself clear?

What would you do?  Will the low bass sound okay if I just try to pull
that bottom end together with a screw, and use NO glue, for the time
being?  If the rest of the bridge never comes loose, this may turn into
a permanent repair, if the tone is okay.  But if it does separate later
on, THEN I can disassemble the piano down there and glue everything
properly.  Advice?

Regards,
Clyde