what's with the new temperaments

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 01:41:44 -0800

Hello Ric,
     I did try to distinguish the early forms of ET, considered by many
commentators to be, essentially,  rough attempts at equality from the
present form which I refered to as the modern kind of ET.  This latter
form is, as I said,  the outgrowth of  increasing skill accumulating in
the tuners over time.  .
     As I am rather poorly informed, in general, as to the history of
temperament - whether of the various forms of HT's or ET itself,  I
hesitate to post comments in a public forum, and ask that they be taken
for what they are -  merely, a hesitant, casual, first effort at
commentary on a rather diffuse subject.  Nevertheless, I think I am on
solid ground in insisting that if the question is the usefulness or lack
thereof of the harmonic values of  various systems of temperament, equal
or unequal,  and the nature of intervals themselves,  then the tuning
characteristics of ensemble playing instrumentally, or of vocal music
should be given preeminence in any generalization as to the natural
tuning preferences in temperament systems, in contrast, to
generalizations derived from the temperaments themselves.
     The nature of these preferences are best discerned in taking note
of the intervalic tuning in freely tunable instruments and the voice
itself, of course, in combinations.   Here, as I indicated last week,
the entire concept of key color is an isolated sophistry emanating from
keyboard work itself, and not in any way central, as far as I can tell,
to music.  The range of these preferences, in my experience, is almost
always in the direction of reduction, where possible, of the dissonance
of ET values of intervals and this, whether one listens to highly
skilled orchestra players, trained singers in vocal work, double or
triple stops on the violin or other string instruments, and, especially
telling, musically untutored, untrained individuals that are asked to
sing a tone or tones above a bass note.
      Such individuals will  arrive, with a little prompting to sing, at
tones that are in clear intervalic relationships, usually, the third,
the fifth, fourth, sixth, or octave, or their compounds,  above the note
without any training whatsoever, even if their tuning is unstable.  This
will  happen with the individual being entirely unconscious of the fact
that he sings an interval that has a harmonic relationship to the bass
note, for the person does not need to know any of these things,
something that is always a source of wonder to me, and suggests, what
seems plain to me, the intrinisic nature of these intervals, among
several,  to human consciousness.
     Furthermore, the same can be done by completely untrained children,
who may be as young as a year and a half, or so, just beginning to walk
and talk.  What is aimed at in these cases, although perhaps realized in
a variable fashion, are the just intervals, devoid of artificial
constraints.
     Having said all of this I think the contrast of key color that
exists in various temperaments is, nevertheless, a  useful and
interesting thing, although, in the larger scheme, an artifice, as I
indicated earlier.  As such, I would argue, that we should be aware that
it is, indeed,  a secondary  phenomenon, incidental in a way to the
fundamental nature of music, and that generalizing from this as a point
of departure for musical questions may lead to doubtful conclusions.
     I don't know very much concering the evolution of temperament but
would say from a musical perspective that had the octave been divisible
by three exact major thirds, and were it capable of being fitted into by
the just values of the other intervals,  which of course is
mathematically impossible,  then the complexities of temperament would
not have evolved and such speaks again to the immaterial degree of its
fundamental utility.
     I have heard music rendered in various temperaments and played on
such instruments.  In general, as perhaps would be expected from early
commentary, I found the improvements to be the improved sonority of keys
in which the thirds and sixths were less "out of tune", that is,
tempered to a lesser degree.
Regards, Robin Hufford