too much O.T. <Correcting some misconceptions>Andydendum

Wed, 19 Mar 2003 05:36:21 -0500

Please note - In my previous post to this subject I neglected to credit the
recent submissions by Bob Davis and Any Rudoff:

>Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 17:14:27 -0500 (EST)
>From: BobDavis88@aol.com
>Subject: Andy, another PTG list?
>
>As it seems completely hopeless to get people to stick to piano technology
>on a piano technology list, or even to label OT posts, how hard would it
>be to create a separate, non-moderated list for non-technical posts? Then
>piano techs (and others) could chat (and argue) to their hearts' content.
>
>I subscribe to pianotech, ptg-l, and caut. That is transparent to me, as
>they all come into the same mailbox. If I were not interested in PTG
>matters, I would simply unsubscribe to ptg-l, and still get the other two.
>The same would be true of pianoNONtech - those who want a place to chat
>would have one, seamlessly. There would be NO justification for OT posts
>(or mail yelling about them) on pianotech, with another easy place to put
>them, and the choice to tune in or not.
>
>Thanks,
>Bob Davis

>Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 15:36:49 -0700 (MST)
>From: Andy Rudoff <andy@rudoff.com>
>Subject: Re: Andy, another PTG list?
>

>Creating new lists is quite easy.  But, let's face it, there are already
>many hundreds of active lists for idle chit chat, political discussions,
>religious debates, and just about any other topic I can think of.  So
>I would say there is already no justification for OT posts.

Andy -

As I wrote to Jim Ellis recently, people want to go where everyone knows
your name.  These lists represent a community.  The idea, I think, is to be
able to have these conversations with people you know.

>The trick is to get people to stop posting the off-topic noise.  As
>you can see from watching the way pianotech works, it isn't easy.
>Sometimes enough people gripe until the noise dies down a little,
>but eventually someone who gets much less mail than I do gets bored
>and kicks off another thread on pianotech that has nothing to do
>with pianos.  That's really a shame, but creating another list for
>them to use won't cause them to use it, in my opinion.

I think it would be much easier for anyone  to call "point of order" to
move a discussion to the OT list if it was available.

>As we discuss every year or so, the only way to create a version
>of pianotech which stays on topic is to create a moderated list.
>If we created pianotech-m, and allowed people to subscribe to
>either pianotech (for the raw signal-to-noise ratio) or pianotech-m
>(for the improved signal-to-noise ratio) then people could choose
>which way they wanted to read it.  They could even digress into
>off-topic drivel without bothering anyone but the poor moderator
>who decides when to let a message through to pianotech-m.
>
>The only problem with this solution is finding someone to be
>the moderator.  It would require someone who reads every pianotech
>post, and doesn't usually lag behind by more than half a day or so
>(if the moderator delay is too long, people start posting "is the list
>working?" noise).  The job would be thankless, and would require
>someone with a thick skin who could stay dispassionate and not
>get caught up in personal or political arguments.
>
>-andy

I think you point out the reasons why moderating Pianotech is not workable.

David Skolnik
Hastings-On-Hudson