Upright Wippen Rebuilding Questions

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:17:35 -0500

Needing new wippens for a 1913 M&H upright rebuild, finding a suitable replacement appears to not be available, I will be rebuilding the original wippens.

I will be installing new jacks and attached flanges. Is it best to simply apply hide glue, stick together and let dry? Or are their any significant secrets to the process?

I will be replacing heel/capstan action cloth. Is hide glue applied over the entire cloth/wood surface? Or is it just applied at the forward and back ends of the action cloth so that there is no glue between the cloth and wooden wippen heel?

The spoons are tarnished a bit. I would rather not replace if I can make like new easily. I can simply give them a second or two on the buffing wheel and they will be shiny as ever - but what about the surface metal left - will it corrode faster than a new spoon? Can I coat the buffed spoon with Emrlon (or something like that - thought I had seen it in Schaff catalog for coating capstans - couldn't find it again) or something else?

Thanks for any input.

Terry Farrell