Upright Wippen Rebuilding Questions

Phil Frankenberg rinkyd@pacbell.net
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 07:06:21 -0800

I was taught that mutton fat was the reason for verdigris in steinway action
centers. Can someone confirm or deny this?
Thanks

Phil Frankenberg
Chico Ca.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 6:25 AM
Subject: Re: Upright Wippen Rebuilding Questions

> Thanks for the input Kerry. A couple comments.
>
> Regarding hide or Titebond. I know this has been gone over a billion
times, but on this action several jack flanges had been repaired with yellow
wood glue. The original hide glue came off effortlessly with a little water
action - wippens cleaned up perfectly. The wippens that had yellow glue
applied (of course I don't know exactly what it was) did soften, but
required a fair bit of scraping to thoroughly clean it. I just delight in
how easy hide glue is removed.

> Mutton fat! Yikes! Where on earth would I find that? And is that something
that will not affect the action cloth on the damper lever, and is that
something that can be expected to last for many decades?