Soundboard varnishes

Wed, 19 Mar 2003 22:11:17 +0100

Gerald Posey wrote:

>      Too much varnish on a violin is akin to wrapping it tightly
>      in a coat of leather.  It dampens the vibrations.  But some
>      damping is good.  How much is good?..... Who knows?.  If I
>      could achieve depth of color in two thin coats (rubbed out)
>      I would be satisfied.

Some would have it that for the amount of varnish to have a measurable
difference in acoustic quality, there would have to be relatively
massive amounts used. Course they are talking about piano soundboards,
tho I would assume in principle the same would have to apply to violins
since they are not THAT different from each other.

Just out of curiousity.... what would you say the acoustical effect of
coating your whole soundboard (violin) with epoxy first ?

Cheers

RicB

--
Richard Brekne