Varnish on Soundboards

Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:17:47 -0500

David -

Far be it from me to speak for Del, but I saved a message to Pianotech
from him some time back that told of the experiments he conducted with
different finishes on soundboards of similar new Baldwins back in his
Baldwin days, and the conclusion was that there was no appreciable
difference in tone quality, given reasonable and similar thicknesses in
various finishes (at least that's what I got out of it).  My personal
speculation is that "needing the perfect elixir for the soundboard
finish"  is just another of those voodoo tales that permeate the
instrument trades.  I have been using water-based lacquer for soundboards
for the past 8-10 years with no discernible "loss in tonal quality".
That being said, personal testimonies seem a tad worthless, eh?   Unless
one had multiple instruments of known similar quality, and the ONLY thing
different about each one was the soundboard finish, how would one
quantify results?  THAT'S what struck me about Del's post.... seemed more
'telling' to me than a hundred personal testimonials....

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com