The Feel of Voice

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 16:53:37 -0500

Hi again,

OK, thanks, everyone, for setting me straight.  Silence is always unnerving,
and I guess it's always been my nature to assume the worst.  ;->

It doesnt' surprise me at all that the noise-cancelling effectiveness of
these headsets is somewhat limited and (especially) frequency-related.
There are many routes by which sound reaches the inner ear.  The principal
one is through the middle ear, but people would still hear somewhat even if
this route were eliminated entirely.  The relative ineffectiveness at (I
presume) higher frequencies would relate mostly to phasing problems.  I
would be surprised if this technology were not also used in high-tech ear
plugs, in which case the phasing problems would be considerably less.

> As for the variations you propose.... what would the purpose be I am
> wondering.... what would you be looking for by employing an audio delay ?

I was just wondering about the "crisp" temporal information deriving from
the higher partials.  What if the spectral content of the sound were
preserved, except with the temporal information otherwise messed up?  Would
that give a pianist the perception of a "heavy" or sluggish action?
Creating a temporal delay is easy with digital technology, although short
delays were still quite satisfactory with the old, analog bucket-brigade
circuits.

Peace,
Sarah