The Feel of Voice

Sun, 23 Mar 2003 19:09:57 +0100

Hey there Sarah

Sarah Fox wrote:

> Hi Ric,
>
> FAIW, Bose has come out with some noise cancelling headsets.  I don't know
> how well they work or how much they cost, but I think this is the first time
> this technology is available on the consumer market.

I didnt know such headsets were made. They might be just the thing, as I thought
I would really "blind" pianists by playing some music in a set of headphones
that were covered by an ear protection headset to really isolate the piano sound
from their ears.

> It would be particularly interesting to play around with these headsets to
> ask other questions about sound/experience relationships.  Not only do the
> headsets electronically cancel external sounds/noises, but they are also, of
> course, *headsets* in the more conventional sense.  So what would happen if
> the sound from the piano were bandpass filtered to mimic different hammer
> hardnesses and were fed to the pianist through the headsets.  The effect????
> Here's another interesting one:  What if miniscule audio delays were
> introduced?  What would be the effect on the pianist's perception of the
> crispness of the action???  (There might not be any effect, which would be
> interesting in itself.)
>
> Just throwing out ideas...

As for the variations you propose.... what would the purpose be I am
wondering.... what would you be looking for by employing an audio delay ?

> Peace,
> Sarah
>
> PS Does anyone get my posts?  Nobody ever responds to them, and I'm starting
> to wonder if I'm being shunned for some reason.

I read them, and enjoy them immensly. So dont stop !

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.