HT wine-tasting (was HT tests)

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 21:45:04 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: <A440A@aol.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 3:03 PM
Subject: Re: HT wine-tasting (was HT tests)

>At this stage of the game,
> establishing the preferences of the "listening group" is a
valuable >piece of information.
>     As to "why" these preferences are observable, I submit

Unfortunately the "preferences" gleaned by a test, of "which
sounds better" sample A, or Sample B is not much information at
all.  The subject has only two choices and knows they are expected
to pick the "best" answer.  Now if a third choice is included,
"Can't really tell"  I think you will get a better understanding
of how much HT's or OT's  matter to the "qualified listener" and
such blind tests might shed a whole new light on the debate,
possibly favorable to the hypothesis, "it doesn't really matter".

    My test is to have the practitioners of HT's listen to CD's
and tell which are ET and which are not.   After all if HT's make
such a difference shouldn't they be able to tell?  So far no
takers.

How  bout this test.... ?

Listen to these samples of  pianos tuned in  HT, or ET.   After
each selection please mark the following......
    A. ET
    B.  HT
    C.  Can't tell.
    D. Care to guess?