Varnish on Soundboards

Thu, 20 Mar 2003 22:51:11 -0500

Hi David -

As far as I'm concerned, all of your questions here are good ones, and I
have no idea at all what too thick a finish would do to the tone.  Never
went there.  Clearly, some common sense when applying finish on ANYTHING
is a major plus, and seems to have been absent in the instance you
relate.  A finish that is "very heavy" and "still quite rubbery and
flexes to the touch" was obviously improperly applied, at the very least.
 Sounds like the undercoats never got a chance to cure before top coats
were 'poured' on.  My personal preference is to apply a couple thin coats
of shellac, sometimes tinted with dyes for warmth or color shifting, and
then 2-3 top coats of water-based lacquer, the last coat being
semi-gloss.  I seldom rub it out.  Shellac is famous for its ability to
act as a vapor barrier, and is very flattering to wood cosmetically, as
well.  I don't know why you would need more 2-3 coats on top of that.
Rightly or wrongly, I guess I don't picture the finish playing a
significant role in the sound production, except negatively if umpteen
coats are dumped on without curing?.    Let us know if you get the
opportunity to take off this gooey mess and listen to any possible
changes in tone.

Mark