Longterm future of piano business

Paul McCloud pmc333@earthlink.net
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 07:41:01 -0800

I work full time for a store in San Diego.  Yes, business is down.  I
often wonder how long they'll keep the doors open.  But it doesn't mean
pianos are going out of favor.  Owning a piano is like having a
fireplace- it's what makes a house a home.  The economic circumstances
dictate what people will buy, but I think there is a pent-up demand
which will make the piano sales surge again.  I remember the late 80's
and early 90's where the sales took a dive, but later in the decade
sales took off again.  As long as you have piano artists making music
that people like, you'll have those who will aspire to play.  And as
long as pianos are produced cheaply enough that people can afford them,
there will be piano businesses to sell them.  I don't think there is
less demand, just uncertainty over the present economy.  JMHO.
	Paul McCloud
	San Diego

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Julio Barea
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2003 7:14 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Longterm future of piano business

I am curious about others opinions on the long term future of the piano
business.  Piano dealers are going under right and left.  Used pianos
are at historic lows and even then do not sell.  There will always be
tuning and rebuilding business since there are still millions of pianos
out there.  But do you feel about the long term growth of our field.

---
"Those of us who dance appear insane to those who can't
hear the music."  George Carlin
"I am prepared to meet my maker.  Whether my makeris prepare
for the great ordeal of meeting me, is another matter."
Winston Churchhill.