Longterm future of piano business

Sat, 22 Mar 2003 16:44:03 +0100

Julio Barea wrote:

> I am curious about others opinions on the long term future of the piano business.  Piano dealers are going under right and left.  Used pianos are at historic lows and even then do not sell.  There will always be tuning and rebuilding business since there are still millions of pianos out there.  But do you feel about the long term growth of our field.

Lets put it this way.... dont encourage your son to become a piano tech unless he's either into a very bohemian life style, or intends on becoming one of the few true all around artisians in our buisness

I predict that within 30 years there will be only 4 or 5 manufactures making only very expensive instruments for an increasingly nostalgic rational and for the few music lovers left who insist on acoustic music. Everyone else will have keyboards of some sort or another. These will just plain become too competetive for the low end acoustic side of our
industry to survive.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.