Explaining Fees was RE: Anybody wanna trade?

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 14:08:57 -0600

When I need to explain why piano work costs so much I show the customer the
bridal straps. I point out that they are just little pieces of ribbon and
very simple--and how they almost always need replacing in an old upright
piano.

Then I have them estimate how long it would take to remove and replace one
bridal strap in its tight little environment. "Oh a couple of minutes" is
a typical response.

Okay, says I, now multiply that number of minutes by 88 and divide by sixty

This, I say, demonstrates the problem: Most jobs don't take all that long on
one note but it's when you multiply everything by a factor of 88 that the
costs get so high.

Grand owners, in my somewhat limited experience, seem to appreciate their
pianos more and know that piano work can be costly. (I'm sure there are
dramatic exceptions!) Even so, a similar demonstration could by made, I
suppose, by describing all the steps in the regulation of each key.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO