Would you miss this list?

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 21:27:21 -0600

Welcome back from the crypt. I also tried a self-imposed silence on here. I
lasted about three days. Oh, well. It's a great community.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Bill Ballard
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2003 9:06 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Cc: jonpage@mail.attbi.com; Erwinspiano@aol.com
Subject: Would you miss this list?

Dear List,

I've been off on a walkabout, for forty days and forty nights. During
that time, I've simply read the daily traffic, but restrained myself
from posting. During this time, the list was filled with priceless
technical information, and the sharing thereof. Being reminded daily
of what was good about this list, what really made me miss it was not
being able to add to it. Not just the OTs and the barking of the yard
dog, but threads which were missing what I had to offer. I also sized
up the extent to which this list had become my social life, and I
certainly didn't miss saying stupid or impulsive stuff. But it has
been an extremely difficult exercise, holding my tongue in any of the
old ways in which I might have participated on this list.

I don't particularly know of anyone else on the list who has done
this. I can name plenty of good people who have left this list for
good. But it sure taught me how much I missed this list. It also told
me that most of us can survive the dumb stuff which goes on here
(should we forget about the recent Amerigo Vespucci side show?).
Further, that among those are some very talented and knowledgeable
people whose thoughts I want to hear on a daily basis.

I'm not sure why anyone else would want to try a 40 day vow of
silence. But should you do, I highly recommend it. The list will
still be there: you can read it every day. And with each near miss in
restraining yourself from an inappropriate post, you will see that
someone filled the breach with their own inappropriateness. And you
realize that there but for the grace of your own self-restraint,
there go you. The genuine contributions? Well they'll just have wait
until your walkabout is done.

(FWIW, "Forty Days and Forty Nights" is a great movie, if you need
reminding about what it's like to be young and drunk.)

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"There's a difference between 'involved' and 'committed.' When
providing ham and eggs for breakfast, the hen is involved. The pig is
committed."
     ...........(Milo Sturgis in Jonathan Kellerman's novel "Self-Defense")