Yamaha 201 lower tension bass?/Don

Dave Nereson dnereson@dim.com
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 03:40:33 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2003 9:39 AM
Subject: Yamaha 201 lower tension bass?/Don

> Don et al,
> "moved down one note", is not the proper way to get a lower tension scale in
> the bass strings. First of all, most bass string makers would not like to do
> that. Second, you need to blend the Inharmonicity and Impedence, else you'll
> have some really weird tuning/voicing problems The answer to the problem is
> to get a Scale Program and check it out yourself. There are two available.
> Parsons and ours, (Scale Master). Each gives you graphs and the ability to
> try variations to get the proper balance.
> I wish the olde "theory" of dropping everything one wire size to get a less
> tension scale, would go away. It ain't the way to go.
> Scaler fer years,
> Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
>
> Been There, Didn't Like It, So I'm Here To Stay! [G}

    I realize it's not the way to go for quality restringing or for designing a better scale.  It was just a thought.  But when a certain gauge wire won't pull up to its intended pitch, even new wire, then isn't the only alternative to use a smaller gauge?  (I realize with bass strings, there are other things to consider, but doesn't the gauge of the core wire determine what pitch it can be pulled up to without breaking?)
    --David Nereson, RPT