Yamaha 201 lower tension bass?/Don

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 08:39:04 -0800

Don et al,
"moved down one note", is not the proper way to get a lower tension scale in
the bass strings. First of all, most bass string makers would not like to do
that. Second, you need to blend the Inharmonicity and Impedence, else you'll
have some really weird tuning/voicing problems The answer to the problem is
to get a Scale Program and check it out yourself. There are two available.
Parsons and ours, (Scale Master). Each gives you graphs and the ability to
try variations to get the proper balance.
I wish the olde "theory" of dropping everything one wire size to get a less
tension scale, would go away. It ain't the way to go.
Scaler fer years,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)