Longterm future of piano business

Sun, 23 Mar 2003 20:17:13 +0100

Hi Kent.

I dont count out the business, I think its going to change significantly
though.

Here's some straight up statistics about the American market since 1900.
Notice that from a high in the mid / late 1970's the upright market is now
down to a 5th of that high. Notice also that the market for grands has
diminished less then 30% of its high point from the same time period. And
also notice the year by year rise in electronic pianos. In Europe the
figures are even more significant.

http://www.pianonet.com/saleshist.htm

I think piano techs in the future are going to have to be in general quite
a bit more accomplished then seems the apparent average today, or they
will perhaps find it quite a bit more difficult to manage a living out of
it. Jobs will be much fewer, and farther between, and customers will
increasingly be of the more demanding sort as others will opt for more
"problem free" instruments in the first place.

Nothing particularly sad about any of this really. Just the way things
seem to be going. And really, given the state of so very very many
neglected instruments I see being offered young children as their first
chance at learning..... I am quite convinced a decent electric is a
decided step upwards.

Cheers

RicB

--