The Feel of Voice

Jonathan Finger johann@tollidee.com
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 08:45:20 -0700

I agree that it would be very interesting to pursue.
Would the force applied to the keystroke affect the result of the
impact?  In other words, could a human scientifically be part of the
test?  It would seem that they would not be able to exert the same
amount of force each time to accurately test it.  But maybe I'm missing
something, and force would have no say in the matter.

What about setting up an action against a surface which would a) make no
sound and b) offer the same return force consistently.  If the hammers
weren't hitting strings, sound would be removed, and you would
accurately be able to test the return force through the key at impact,
without someone's hearing getting into the way.

Don't mind me, I'm just kind of babbling here, it's an interesting
topic, and now you've got me thinking.

I guess in the end though, what matters is how you leave the piano
sounding for someone.  These things are all great to ponder, but if they
don't affect our finished product, then what good are they?

Jonathan Finger RPT

PS: Richard, do you know any technicians in Oslo?  When I worked at
Schimmel, I met a few technicians from a store in Oslo, and I'd love to
get in touch with them (if you know anyone up there).