The Feel of Voice

Jonathan Finger johann@tollidee.com
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 08:53:15 -0700

Richard:
It's interesting that you mention voicers employing such techniques.  I
hadn't remembered it until you said it, but when I was at Schimmel,
there was a Japanese gentleman doing QC there, who would do the final
voicing by touch.  This was a technique he had used at Yamaha, and then
at Schimmel.  I found it very interesting at the time, and hadn't even
thought of it through this discussion until you mentioned the same
thing.

Jonathan Finger RPT

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Richard Brekne
Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2003 11:14 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: The Feel of Voice

gordon stelter wrote:

> Maybe part of what a person who claims they can "feel"
> different voicings is experiencing is the
> hammershanks' re-contact with wippen at different
> velocities depending on hammer firmness.

I'm sure that would have to work into the thing as well. It seems
obvious
that some composite of information, both aural and phsyical allows the
pianist a very real sensation about the hardness of the hammer. But just
how exactly to explain it all, and how much any particular thing
contributes is another matter.

> That, and
> their own varying exertion to achieve a desired volume
> level. These plus different, deeper, more esoteric
> stuff, as Sarah suggests. Or the flinching pain of
> cringing from an out of tune piano, which somehow
> affects one's sense of touch.
>      Thump

I know voicers who actively employ what they believe is a feel for touch
as part of their voicing technique. They are after a certain feel to the
hammer they say. In my own voicing experience... I could swear I am more
and more getting a sense of what they mean.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.