Breaking strings - Was: tough work

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 15:47:39 -0600

Avery:

I agree with you.  I've spliced a string successfully for "the test"
and maybe 3 times since then.  Otherwise Id much rather replace.
Most (95%) of the bass strings that break at the school break right
at the agraffe.  No room to make a knot, and if you could it would be
in the speaking length.  Treble strings I can replace in less than 5
- 6 minutes, but then I get more practice doing that than most.  I
keep spare bass strings for Steinway Ms, Ls & Bs.  I keep them on a
ring, and when I use one I put a punching on the ring in that place
with the appropriate string number on it.  About once a month I order
replacements.

dave

On 3/23/2003 at 2:44 PM Avery Todd wrote:

>Phil,
>
>Reminds me of a story a tech friend of mine told me. When the RPT
test
>was given, "they" didn't know how to tie a string. So, the examiner
asked
>what would they do if a string broke when they were tuning for a
concert.
>The answer was, "I'll go back to the shop and make a new one!" :-)
>
>Most of us can't do that, but I tend to agree with you. I don't like
>tie
>strings
>either, although I know if they're done well, they can last for a
long
>time!
>I learned to tie just to pass the test but I doubt I'd ever do it in
real
>life!
>There's just something about a knot in a string that bothers me.
Sorry.