Breaking strings - Was: tough work

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 14:41:32 -0600

Hi Tom,

Yeah, they may be cool, but............

>Avery,
>         Ya, but those dusty old knots really are cool!
>         Seriously ---and we are talking bass strings here---Splicing =
>Lower cost, Less time, consistent tone with the other old strings, Less
>instability-- I.E. fewer trips back to the piano to retune. In my
>opinion this is the superior repair.

Remember I work for a university. I can pick up the phone and call a
friend who has all the scales for Steinway, makes their own strings and
in an emergency, I could get them within a couple of days! Plus, I'm there,
and I can go retune daily if I have to and I can also get both strings
replaced
if needed. Actually, they've rescaled 3 of the 4 D's we have, replaced the
strings, so I wouldn't think it would be a problem replacing only one. Unless
they were dead sounding, of course!

I probably shouldn't even be responding on this thread because of my situation,
but like I've said, it's probably not for most tech's situations, but for
mine, it works!
I'm lucky! :-)

>         We can disagree here --amicably of course---

Of course! :-)

>but its win, win,
>win, win (enough already Tom) for the non speaking length splice over
>bass string replacement.
>         I know this isn't the most earth shaking thread, but aint it
>refreshing that were talking tech tonight.

DEFINITELY!!!!!!!!!

>         Peace
>         Tom Driscoll

Just my opinion in my situation! :-)