Breaking strings - Was: tough work

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@attbi.com
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 22:25:16 -0500

Hi Tom,

I thought that's what I said! :-) I agree with you but I just don't want
do it in my particular situation. I'd rather replace with new strings!

Avery

>Avery,
>Respectfully, IMHO I disagree. A successful knot in the non speaking
>area is a victory. I see string knots from long gone techs and even
>those of my own surviving indefinitely and as an effective, economical
>repair.
>         To me they speak of craftsmanship, however simply executed.
>         Tom Driscoll

Avery,
	Ya, but those dusty old knots really are cool!
	Seriously ---and we are talking bass strings here---Splicing =
Lower cost, Less time, consistent tone with the other old strings, Less
instability-- I.E. fewer trips back to the piano to retune. In my
opinion this is the superior repair.
	 We can disagree here --amicably of course--- but its win, win,
win, win (enough already Tom) for the non speaking length splice over
bass string replacement.
	I know this isn't the most earth shaking thread, but aint it
refreshing that were talking tech tonight.
	Peace
	Tom Driscoll