String Splicing pictures/Hazen

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:18:25 -0600

Ron, baby, quit being so darned funny, will ya? I'm trying to be in a grumpy
mood.

I remember the knots and ropes classes we took in Navy boot camp (a very
long time ago). It was more fun than most of the other classes but Bill Bebe
and I were running a "Sgt. Bilko" kind of operation and skipped almost all
classes, anyway. But that's another tale...

Thanks for the giggle.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

P.S. Is there a cure for that Tuner Snot thing?

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Ron Nossaman
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2003 9:04 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: String Splicing pictures/Hazen

>Can't find a name for the knot used in splicing -- checked the Boy Scout
>Handbook, too, and didn't see it.

That's because it's a tuners' knot, and the topological equivalent of a
square knot. Boy Scouts deal in topography instead - and starting fires.

>But it's a variation on the square knot, or a "twisted" or "reconfigured"
>square knot.

Right.

>A square knot can be made into our splicing knot and vice versa without
>untying all the way.

Or at all, for that matter.

>Neither the square knot or our splicing knot is 100% secure with rope --
>if pulled hard enough with some kinds of rope, they will untie.  But for
>some reason they work well with wire.

Stiffness relative to breaking strength. There must be a descriptive
engineering term, but if there is it escapes me.

>     Now all I need is the "official" name of the other knot (the one most
> often seen in pianos).
>     --David Nereson, RPT, Denver

"Tuners' knot". Heck, we ought to get to be in the knot books too, and that
won't happen with the "I always replace the string" knot.

Or knot...

Ron N