Grand damper felt alignment

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 07:21:41 -0800

See Terry, stick your neck out and.......
    Yeah, I agree, that is what I thought but this is the way I was =
shown, kinda. I am not sure of the reason, the person who showed me had =
for putting the dampers in the piano as they glue them, but if I didn't =
on this Baldwin they would look lousy. In the tenor section the agraffes =
are spaced unevenly. The same in the last two Steinways I did. With the =
uneven string spacing, the heads don't look like they are right with =
different spaces between them. Uneven string spacing is hardly =
noticeable but damper spacing stands out. On the Mason Hamlin AA, every =
third head was tapered to match the heads to the fan of the strings. =
Figure out where to center that felt when gluing.=20
This may be controversial but I think looks play more of a part in =
selling a piano than sound. I don't believe I compromise the damping of =
the string by off centering the felt to the head. 1 mm can make a big =
difference. My damper jobs are getting high marks for looks and since I =
complained about regulating behind someone else's glue job, the job is =
mine. It's amazing how many regulation problems you can solve in the 15 =
to 30 seconds of adjustment time if your wire bending pliers are close. =
I don't tighten the screw, they just sit loose on the string.
I'm thinking I need to pay a little more attention to how the wires hang =
through the tray without the felt on and check each head to see that the =
wire drops straight away from the head. On this Baldwin, the board was =
original so the guide rails and tray hadn't been messed with. The last =
two, I had to have the guide rails moved about a mm. It would be nice to =
be able to do a quick check of alignment in the piano. Anybody got a set =
of clip on felts, all flat?
    Okay, my neck is stretched out and on the block. I hope the steel =
hood I added to my flame suit is strong enough. May be I should have =
drilled some ventilation holes in it.
Keith Roberts

----- Original Message -----=20