more bridge design

Dave Nereson dnereson@dim.com
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 02:42:58 -0700

    I've noticed on some large grands (I forget which make), the bass =
bridge will have several large holes drilled through it.  I'm not sure =
why -- I imagine it's to reduce the mass for some reason -- maybe so the =
soundboard isn't "burdened" with a large block of wood riding on it.  =
Yet, the necessary downward pressure of the strings is also a humongous =
burden.   If I'm not mistaken, this is found only in high quality =
concert grands, or maybe only in one make.   But a few weeks ago, I saw =
the same feature in an Eavestaff minipiano.  This is a little oddball =
spinet, British company, but made in the U.S. by Hardman, Peck & Co., =
New York.  [I don't know if Hardman made them under contract with =
Eavestaff or if they made only the ones sold stateside.]  It was hell to =
work on, and I hope I never see another one.  But the bass bridge had =
holes drilled through it just like the Bosendorfer Imperial or whoever =
it is that uses that feature.=20
    Now here the violin bridge analogy may come in again -- i.e., the =
bridge is not a solid block of wood, but has as many "holes", or open =
spaces in it as possible.
    Does anybody know which large grand it is that has the holey bass =
bridge and what the reason for the holes is?    --David Nereson, RPT, =
Denver