HT Tests

Wed, 26 Mar 2003 09:18:28 +0100

Hi there David

That is indeed one of the things I suggest after they first start
understanding that there is temperament related things going on. Another
is to play some rather simple peice and transpose it from close to
remote keys to get a sense of the difference. And playing peices from
different time periods is also one I suggest.

When they get to this point I ask them to spend some time thinking about
whether they enjoy the effect of having the piano tuned thus, and if so
if there are any particular contexts they feel they need to put that
enjoyment in... limitations ... etc. I aslo underline that I do not have
any expectations as to whether or not they should or shouldnt "like" the
temperament. I want them to feel free to give it the thumbs down if
thats what they think.

These are often kids (18 to 24 years old) that are relatively easy to
influence. They are there to learn music, and I am percieved as one of
the staff.... almost as one of the faculty. It would be easy for me to
convince them to either like or dislike HT's I am sure. I dont want to
do that... either way.

Cheers ! and thanks your thoughts :)

RicB

--