HT Tests

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 02:11:52 EST

In a message dated 3/25/03 10:32:23 PM Pacific Standard Time,
hufford1@airmail.net writes:

> > As far as choosing between the two grands in the professors room. The
> > professor in question has been sick so I havent been able to get his
> > opinion. But one student was put to the test today, and her immediate
> > reaction was decidedly positive, tho this was based on just a few
> > seconds play on the instrument with the Well Temperament tuning. She
> > said right of that it sounded much better then it had sounded in the
> > past. I told her to play around with it, do a few peices on both pianos
> > and compare and try and put a finger on whatever differences she could
> > identify. Her curiosity peaked immediatly and she moved her practice
> > session into the room. I will probably run into her tommorrow.
> >
> > If nothing else this exercise definatly shows that the students are
> > enthusasitic about the possibility of something new and different to
> > check out. How far that "novelty effect" will take them remains to be
> > seen.

Ric,

It might be interesting to suggest to the students that they play pieces in
more remote keys, like B or F# to get the real bite of some of the faster
beating thirds.  And perhaps even have them play things that make use of
pieces that employ whole-tone scales.

Dave S.