RE Politics...was something else.

Brian Lawson lawsonic@bdmail.co.za
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 19:14:41 +0200

If you want a list dedicated to off topic posts for and from other piano =
techs then click below

mailto:tito@philbondi.com?subject=3DSUBSCRIBE MPT

Brian

=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Skolnik=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 5:44 PM
  Subject: Re: RE Politics...was something else.

  This is going along just fine.  Please see my other post about OT =
Summaries. =20
  First, Richard B and Dave Stahl, I don't recall any  "decisions" being =
made about OT or political issues, though there has been a good deal of =
discussion.  If you recall the posts last week, at some point,  Andy =
Rudoff responded to my quote from "Cheers" (wanna go where they know =
your name, ect) as follows:

    This is an excellent point.  When someone posts an off topic joke
    to pianotech, they are often doing so because they know the people
    on pianotech and they think those folks will get a chuckle from
    what they post.  Sending the same content to some list provided by
    yahoo or MSN might make the message exactly on-topic, but you're
    posting to strangers

  I think anyone would have to admit that, while discussions regarding =
political issues are guaranteed to be disruptive and contentious, to =
completely disregard something as demanding of our awareness as these =
current events are, is unnatural.  I am not advocating for the presence =
of such posts on this list, per se, however, I find it disingenuous to =
censure Mr. Bernard for trying to find a way, within our list community, =
to express some deeply held feelings. He did, after all, designate it as =
"OFF-TOPIC".   Even on a parallel "OT" list, such as what I find myself =
advocating, such expressions would, undoubtedly engender heated =
discussions and raw nerves, as, beneath the commonality of our =
profession, we are quite a varied collection of creatures.  On such a =
list, we might ultimately find it desirable to further spin off a =
specifically political list, as vitriol might tend to overwhelm less =
contentious non-technical issues on the "OT" list, such as praising Tom =
Sheehan, or complaining about pictures being sent to the list.

  Keith - what I find interesting about your comments to Richard is =
that, while you are criticizing him for perpetuating an OT post on the =
list, you do so in a (lightly) demeaning way that almost guaranties =
that, not only will he be forced to respond (on the list), but the =
ensuing exchange could become an OT personal dispute, all by itself.  =
Given your closing, I am sure that was not your intent.

  Respectfully, and affectionately,

  David Skolnik, RPT
  Hatings-On-Hudson