RE Politics...was something else.

Wed, 26 Mar 2003 10:44:12 -0500

This is going along just fine.  Please see my other post about OT Summaries.
First, Richard B and Dave Stahl, I don't recall any  "decisions" being made
about OT or political issues, though there has been a good deal of
discussion.  If you recall the posts last week, at some point,  Andy Rudoff
responded to my quote from "Cheers" (wanna go where they know your name,
ect) as follows:

>This is an excellent point.  When someone posts an off topic joke
>to pianotech, they are often doing so because they know the people
>on pianotech and they think those folks will get a chuckle from
>what they post.  Sending the same content to some list provided by
>yahoo or MSN might make the message exactly on-topic, but you're
>posting to strangers

I think anyone would have to admit that, while discussions regarding
political issues are guaranteed to be disruptive and contentious, to
completely disregard something as demanding of our awareness as these
current events are, is unnatural.  I am not advocating for the presence of
such posts on this list, per se, however, I find it disingenuous to censure
Mr. Bernard for trying to find a way, within our list community, to express
some deeply held feelings. He did, after all, designate it as
"OFF-TOPIC".   Even on a parallel "OT" list, such as what I find myself
advocating, such expressions would, undoubtedly engender heated discussions
and raw nerves, as, beneath the commonality of our profession, we are quite
a varied collection of creatures.  On such a list, we might ultimately find
it desirable to further spin off a specifically political list, as vitriol
might tend to overwhelm less contentious non-technical issues on the "OT"
list, such as praising Tom Sheehan, or complaining about pictures being
sent to the list.

Keith - what I find interesting about your comments to Richard is that,
while you are criticizing him for perpetuating an OT post on the list, you
do so in a (lightly) demeaning way that almost guaranties that, not only
will he be forced to respond (on the list), but the ensuing exchange could
become an OT personal dispute, all by itself.  Given your closing, I am
sure that was not your intent.

Respectfully, and affectionately,

David Skolnik, RPT
Hatings-On-Hudson