RACHALS

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:54:45 -0800

At 07:26 PM 3/26/2003 -0300, you wrote:

>The hammers are about 4,5 mm ( 1 & 3/4 " ) from the strings and only some
>notes have the problem.
>I can't to understain because all the action seems to be correct.
>Rogerio Cunha

Hi, Rogerio

I dealt with a problem a little bit like this on a Steinway B. It
played fine otherwise, and I adjusted it this way and that way, but no matter
what I did, some notes would jam when repeated fast and loud.

The backchecks were sort of high, and I didn't quite like the
shape of the tails. I reshaped the tails using Bill Spurlock's
jig, and they checked better, but would still jam.

The only thing which fixed the problem was to repin the hammer
centers so they weren't so loose, and also to repin some of
the wippen flange centers and the rep lever centers. The whole thing
was just too free.

Be sure that the springs can raise the hammers after check,
but not too fast. Maybe not as fast as you'd normally like.

Good luck -- tell us what you find.

Susan