RACHALS

Dave Bunch pdtek@mchsi.com
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 17:55:43 -0600

I agree with James. Instead of lowering the rail, you should have raised =
the hammers. The lower the hammers sink over time, the more likely they =
are to catch on the back check on a hard blow. When the key is played =
sharply, the back checks that are regulated a little closer than some =
others will get out ahead of the hammer a bit and catches it on the way =
up.

After raising the hammers I would also check the regulation of the back =
checks.

Dave Bunch
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Rogerio Cunha=20
  To: Pianotech Mensagem=20
  Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 1:23 PM
  Subject: RACHALS

  To the list

  Today I went to solve a problem on a RACHALS grand.
  The piano was very well restored in England and now is on Rio de =
Janeiro.
  All on it was very nice and the only wrong thing was the hammer shanks =
that  was resting on the hammer rest rail. I lowered the rail.
  There are on it a problem that I could not to solve. If you play =
normaly it is a very good piano and a very nice one but in some notes if =
you need to use a heavy blow, the hammer don't go to the strings. The =
hammer stays blocked on the backcheck. I separate the back check from =
the tail of the hammer and this don't solved the problem.=20
  I made a accurate inspection in 3 or 4 notes with this problem, and I =
could not to discover what is wrong.
  I need help.
  Thanks
  ROGERIO CUNHA
  IC Member of The Piano Technicians Guild
  Rio de Janeiro - Brasil
  http://planeta.terra.com.br/arte/dacapo/
  http://www.perfectpitch.hpg.ig.com.br/index.html

  ---