RACHALS

Paul McCloud pmc333@earthlink.net
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 22:37:03 -0800

I vote for reshaping the tails.  I had a similar problem with some
Chinese Young Chang grands.  The arc on the tails weren't made properly
(too small radius).   The tails had a "hump" instead of a smooth arc.
The backchecks would hang up on the tail with a hard blow.  Bending the
backcheck wire farther away (to avoid touching the hammer on it's way
up) only makes the hammer check too far from the string.

Paul McCloud

San Diego

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Dave Bunch
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 3:56 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: RACHALS

I agree with James. Instead of lowering the rail, you should have raised
the hammers. The lower the hammers sink over time, the more likely they
are to catch on the back check on a hard blow. When the key is played
sharply, the back checks that are regulated a little closer than some
others will get out ahead of the hammer a bit and catches it on the way
up.

After raising the hammers I would also check the regulation of the back
checks.

Dave Bunch