Voicing for sustain: was Downbearing and Tone

Mike Spalding mjbkspal@execpc.com
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 06:35:37 -0600

Ric,

Yes, it's been a while since this one started.  Situation is: just finishing
a rebuild, which included new bridge pins set in epoxy, and re-ground capo
bar, new Abel Encores.  Downbearing possibly in the heavy side, about 1
degree.  Being cautious, maybe too much so, about avoiding excessive
needling.

Also, this being a M&H A with individually tunable aliquots, I have made an
attempt at tuning the rear duplex.  Well, not exactly "Individually
tunable", as the aliquot can be positioned correctly for 2 strings of a
tri-chord, but the 3rd string must be accepted where it is.  Tuning seems
very sensitive to little inaccuracies in bridge termination, very hard to
get rid the last couple of beats.  I'm not sure what difference, if any,
that tuning the duplex has made.  Perhaps the tuning must be very precise in
order to triple the sustain, or whatever it is supposed to do.

Mike