Samick grand backcheck wear

Paul E. Dempsey dempsey@marshall.edu
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:40:14 -0500 (EST)

I see a number of this vintage Samicks and all seem to exhibit this
problem. The first tip-off is the collection of yellow0orange-ish "fur"
that has collected on the hammers and sometimes the dampers.
It is a combination of a poor quality leather(?) and a too aggressive
roughing of the tails. Radius of the tails may play a part as well.

Yes, you can re-leather using a good quality tough leather. Or you can
replace the backcheck heads( a fair job) or replace the backcheck and
wire(a BIG job). Certainly you need to moderate the "tooth" of the
roughing and check the radius. Good luck and have fun.