Breakdown measurements

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 09:36:37 -0800

    I'm breaking down an old upright, my first. Of course my first =
problem is how many columns do I need on my breakdown sheet? Number of =
rows is dictated by the number of strings. I have a uni-cord section =
from 1 to 16.=20
A bi-cord section from 11 to 33, left and right. Room to write in wound =
tri-cords. Certainly if I am just duplicating the original, all I need =
to know is what the string makers want, but I would like to have the =
dimensions needed by a scalar. Paying a trusted colleague to review and =
rescale if necessary should be worth the education. Is it best to record =
both strung and unstrung dimensions for winding length and hitch pin to =
winding length? I went with the center line of hitch pin and a spot for =
the hitch pin diameter and oddities there of. Small loops and big cast =
iron lugs for hitch pins may not ever be a problem but I don't want find =
out.=20
    So I have speaking length, winding length, hitch pin center line to =
winding, core diameter, and overall diameter. Do I need the distance =
from the upper or front bridge pin to the hitch pin? What backscale =
dimension would the scale designer find necessary? The plate bearing =
points?=20
    On the plain tri-cords do I need any more than just the speaking =
length and wire size?

Keith Roberts