Breakdown measurements

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 17:54:01 -0600

>     I'm breaking down an old upright, my first. Of course my first
> problem is how many columns do I need on my breakdown sheet?

Hi Keith,

All a rescaler needs for each unison in the piano is speaking lengths,
number of strings, core, outside wrap diameter (if any), and what was
originally used for the wrap. He will specify bare end length with the
rescaling. While the wrap was probably copper originally, it could be iron
or aluminum in some cases and through some parts of the scale.

It would be best for you to talk to the string winder to see what he
prefers on length measurements, but hitch to front bridge pin, and hitch to
agraffe (or whatever) with expected bare end lengths for the wrap start and
stop should be adequate. The easiest way is to make two small paper
patterns, one for the hitches and bridge pins, and one for the agraffe (or
whatever) end. Mark A-0 on both patterns, and give a speaking length
measurement for the first and last string, and he can tack the patterns to
his bench the appropriate distances apart and accurately reproduce what was
in the piano without you having to either mail him a huge pattern, or take
any more measurements than necessary. With these little patterns and your
new scale data, he should be able to figure stretch and wrap placement to
end up where you want them under tension.

Ron N