Samick grand backcheck wear

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 17:33:31 -0500

Clyde,
         As is often the case, someone beat me to it. I definitely second
Roger's entire post. Most all of the Samick products I've seen exhibit the
same excessive checkering of the tails. Thankfully they've left enough meat
on the hammer tail to correct the problem without replacing the hammers.
The Spurlock jig is excellent and easy to use. I use the jig in conjunction
with a 1" belt sander      but you could use it with a disc sander as well.
Simple and fast and it makes a huge difference in how effectively the
hammer checks. Look for much faster repetition as a result of your work.

Greg Newell

P.S. If you haven't lost too much meat from the backcheck leather you might
not have to replace that. I've done it without with good success but the
backcheck leather has to have a smooth surface to it. No gouges or little
flaps of leather hanging there.