Breakdown measurements

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 22:21:46 -0600

>What part of the hitch pin are you guys measuring to?
>The inside of the loop or the center line? I'm starting to think that
>since the hitch pin is tilted  and therefore oval to the string,
>eyeballing the loop is the better way.
>I have made the pattern on a piece of packaging paper, rubbing with the
>flat side of a carpenters pencil, but that only shows the tip of the pin.
>I guess that is what the measurements fill in that the pattern doesn't show.
>Keith Roberts

If your pattern is made by sanding through the paper, or whacking it with a
rubber mallet so it goes over the hitches and bridge pins, the string maker
can work directly off of an exact representation of the piano and decide
for himself where to measure from. That's one of the advantages of doing it
this way, so you just have to supply core and outer wrap diameters and bare
end lengths. If you just want to send measurements without a pattern, ask
your string maker where he wants the length measurements from.
Communication between you and the string maker is where it's at here, so
you are both looking at the same thing.

Ron N