Epoxy Reinforcing of Action Parts

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 00:03:36 -0500

Dear List,

i'm working on a 1906 Krakauer 5'10" grand, restringing with original
board and block, new shanks and hammers, and lots of
refurbish-whatevering in the action. New shanks were a must because
the wood was fracturing right at the bushings (must be reed maple, or
a let-off rail problem. But I stayed with the original reps.

It turns out all action parts or what looks like American Beech,
which after nearly 100 years is quite brittle. (That's why the
fractured shanks.) The reps did better, although the week spot is the
joint between the jack fly and tender. I fond out quickly that I
wasn't going to be able to cradle the jacks the usual was. The back
of the jacks shear off through the CP hole. Bending the pin and
rotating it to vertical isn't going to work. (The bent pin puts a
gouging stress on the bushing, and shows no sign of ever loosening to
proper friction. Also the orientation of the pin appears not to be
stable.)

But there are jacks which will need cradle, and no matter how low I
set the psi on the air nailer, the jacks fracture when I tap them to
cradle them. So my next best guess is to impregnate the beech at the
jack's elbow. That should render the jacks strong enough to take a
cradling tap.

Does anybody know how to do this? It's going to be a great piano.
I've promised to get it back to the  church for Easter.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Lady, this piano is what it is, I am what I am, and you are what you are"
     ...........From a recurring nightmare.