Epoxy Reinforcing of Action Parts

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 04:10:55 -0500

A man after my epoxy reinforced heart! Please explain the items below:
 =20
----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Bill Ballard" <yardbird@vermontel.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2003 12:03 AM
Subject: Epoxy Reinforcing of Action Parts

> Dear List,
>=20
> i'm working on a 1906 Krakauer 5'10" grand, restringing with original=20
> board and block, new shanks and hammers, and lots of=20
> refurbish-whatevering in the action. New shanks were a must because=20
> the wood was fracturing right at the bushings (must be reed maple, or=20
> a let-off rail problem. But I stayed with the original reps.
>=20
> It turns out all action parts or what looks like American Beech,=20
> which after nearly 100 years is quite brittle. (That's why the=20
> fractured shanks.) The reps did better, although the week spot is the=20
> joint between the jack fly and tender.

What is the "jack fly"? I imagine the "tender" is the foot part?

> I fond out quickly that I=20
> wasn't going to be able to cradle the jacks the usual was.=20

Please explain "cradle the jacks" - I am not familiar with this term.

> The back=20
> of the jacks shear off through the CP hole.=20

Can you clarify this at all - can't quite picture?

> Bending the pin and=20
> rotating it to vertical isn't going to work. (The bent pin puts a=20
> gouging stress on the bushing, and shows no sign of ever loosening to=20
> proper friction. Also the orientation of the pin appears not to be=20
> stable.)

Again, please explain/clarify. Why are you bending pins? What pin - =
center pin? Rotating to vertical? I don't have a clue as to what you are =
describing.
=20
> But there are jacks which will need cradle, and no matter how low I=20
> set the psi on the air nailer, the jacks fracture when I tap them to=20
> cradle them.=20

Air nailer? To "cradle" a jack? What is this process? Please describe in =
detail.

> So my next best guess is to impregnate the beech at the=20
> jack's elbow. That should render the jacks strong enough to take a=20
> cradling tap.

You can put epoxy between wooden parts. You can add epoxy to the =
exterior of parts. You can "impregnate" a material with thin epoxy if it =
is quite porous. Beech is pretty darn dense stuff. You will not be able =
to "impregnate" beech with epoxy.

I'm very curious about the questions above. I look forward to your =
descriptions.

Terry Farrell
=20