synthetic leather wear, fuzz

Dave Nereson dnereson@dim.com
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 02:00:50 -0700

    It's not only Samicks that use that synthetic yellow "leather" or =
whatever it is.  I've seen that yellow fuzz all up and down the =
regulating rail of Kawai verticals, where they used the stuff on the =
catchers.  I think I've seen it on several Asian grands, from the =
backchecks, and in some cases from the knuckles. =20
    In the case of grand backchecks, one can smooth the hammer tails.  =
But when it's grand knuckles or upright catchers that are fuzzing =
everything up, I suppose the only thing to do is re-leather or =
re-buckskin.=20
    This is sort of like the Corfam problem on Baldwins.  Except with =
their company-supplied kit, you just glue the new stuff on the top of =
the old (vertical hammer butt leathers and catchers).  Not sure if they =
ever used the stuff for grand knuckles.

   << Another wear problem is that the fallboard spring has ruined the =
felt in
the slot.  I'll probably replace the felt with leather on my next call.
I ran out of time this time>>

`    Yes, I've seen that on almost all Yamahas (before the slow-drop =
fallboard).  I just let it wear out, then before it starts digging into =
the wood, replace with a tougher leather.
    --David Nereson, RPT