Samick grand backcheck wear

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 08:26:12 -0700

At 10:39 AM 3/28/2003 -0600, you wrote:
Hi Clyde,
>                  You need to re leather the back checks, with a quality
> back check leather, and arc the hammer tails.

Reshaping the tails is a must with these older Samicks, and the Howards,
D.H.Baldwins, and Wurlys. Especially in the bass, where the original
tailing is square to the hammers, not the shanks. Twisting the backchecks
square after re-tailing quite often exposes enough "new" flesh on the
synthetic cover that a quick wire brushing of the "leather" will give you
acceptable checking.

>  I suggest using the Spurlock jig.

Welllll..... if you really think so. It's a great jig, and all, but I'm
really too lazy to remove all those hammer shanks, etc. And the Time! Whew! <G>

Anyway, I learned, a few years ago, a very quick, accurate, and easy way to
tail them puppies on the stack. The whole set takes about 5 minutes. Right
angle grinder, or air sander, and 50 grit abrasive. The surface won't need
checkering, and everything comes out.... dandy. Hard to describe, easy to
show. Like I have been showing at conventions and one day seminars, etc.
Suffer through (and survive) one of my classes in Dallas, and you'll get
the idea of how this tailing works. Absolutely the type of thing a truly
lazy person like me looks for in a repair procedure.

And Roger.... doesn't knocking the leads out of the rear of the keys on
those older Samicks help repetition, also?

Laters,
Guy

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." - John Lennon