Bass Damper/Sustain Problem Fix Wrapup

Gholley237@cs.com Gholley237@cs.com
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 13:02:24 EST

       A big thank you to Jon Page, Phil Frankenberg, Roger Jolly, Ron
Nossaman, Tom Driscoll, Tony Caught and Terry Farrell for contributing
suggestions to the problem with the bass dampers and sustain pedal in the
Keller Bros. Upright.
       I called the customer this morning and said I was sure I now had
suggestions on how to correct the problem and I could return and would do the
repair at no charge.
       "Oh please do" and I was there by 11:00 AM., made the adjustments and
was on my way by 11:30 AM.  With a very satisfied high school piano student.

       I will give credit to Jon Page for hitting the nail right on the head.
 However, with all of the other suggestions made by the afore mentioned
experts, I felt like I had a full magazine with one in the chamber.

       The primary cause was:

       The action bracket bolt nut, at the left bass bracket and at the
tenor/bass break bracket, was turned in too much on the stud, which held the
dampers to the strings too firmly in the bass.
    I turned the nuts out, pulled the action brackets away a little bit, and
as I played C2 I turned the nuts back in and the dampers now being backed off
the strings the sustain returned to the strings.
    The dampers on A0 through E1 were still just a little too close so I
regulated the damper wires and those cleaned up just fine.
    I then checked the dampers while pressing the sustain/damper pedal and
noticed that they all could stand a smidgen more of space.
    I then checked the damper pedal rod and the pedal lever and noticed that
laying under the lever on the bottom of the case there was a dowel pin
bushing laying there, and that there was no bushing at the dowel pin at the
lever.  I replaced the bushing under the dowel, played a few notes with the
sustain pedal depressed and now the dampers all lifted away from the strings
very nicely.

    Following up on other suggestions given for me to look at I checked these
items:
1)  The action bracket feet were seated properly, in this case the action
bracket foot straddles a 3/16" steel rod that is secured into the inside of
the case.
2)  The damper lift rod was secure; the damper rod hooks and hangers were all
secure.
3)  The action rail was not warped, split or broken.

       I greatly appreciate all of the help on this problem and I can file
this experience away for the future.
       You technicians are great.

Regards, Gordon Holley
Goshen, IN