Ecsaine? Escaine?

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 16:45:02 -0500

Friends,

I'm about to prove to you that I really do know how to make a mountain
out of a molehill.  Since a couple years ago we settled on wippen rather
than whippen, now my question is:  is it Escaine or Ecsaine?  As if
anyone cares!

I used Ecsaine in my reply below because that is what is used in a
technical document on Baldwin Leather Replacement from Atonal Piano
Service.  Do a google search on Baldwin Leather Replacement and you'll
see what I mean.

But do a search putting both Ecsaine and Escaine in the subject line and
you'll come up with something very interesting.  Both spellings are used
within the same article in a number of sites, mostly on Lexus car
interiors but also describing wrestling shoes and maybe some other
stuff!

So unless someone is looking for a research project or in some other way
can come up with something definitive, I'm not sure we will ever
straighten this out.  But being the precise person I am, I really would
like to know!  Any takers?

Regards,
Clyde