Ecsaine? Escaine?

Barbara J. Fandrich pianobuilders@olynet.com
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 17:54:27 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clyde Hollinger" <cedel@supernet.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2003 1:45 PM
Subject: Ecsaine? Escaine?

> Friends,
>
> I'm about to prove to you that I really do know how to make a mountain
> out of a molehill.  Since a couple years ago we settled on wippen rather
> than whippen, now my question is:  is it Escaine or Ecsaine?  As if
> anyone cares!
>
> I used Ecsaine in my reply below because that is what is used in a
> technical document on Baldwin Leather Replacement from Atonal Piano
> Service.  Do a google search on Baldwin Leather Replacement and you'll
> see what I mean.

Ecsaine is a trademark of Toray Industries, a Japanese chemical and textile
manufacturing company. It is used to describe a man-made suede product also
often called ultra-suede. To quote:

"Developed in 1970, Ecsaine* has a structure resembling natural suede, and
consists of ultrafine fibers (0.01 to 0.2 denier) closely intertwinded into
bundles. Earning high praise for its outstanding quality, feel and
functionality, Ecsaine* is used in a wide range of applications, including
clothing, upholstery, wall coverings, automobile trim, and sporting goods
such as golf gloves and sports shoes." See
http://www.toray.co.jp/e/products/seni/seni_4.html

The name for this material is often mis-spelled and mis-pronounced
escaine--and not just by piano technicians. I couldn't possibly explain why.
It is just as easy to spell it correctly and pronounce it correctly. And,
yes, I expect the manufacturer does care.

Del