Knabe counterbearing arrangement

Barbara J. Fandrich pianobuilders@olynet.com
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 17:59:20 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Love=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2003 11:34 AM
  Subject: Knabe counterbearing arrangement

  I'm restringing an older Knabe (1920) and wondering if I can't improve =
the counterbearing arrangement to improve tone a bit.  In the topmost =
treble section (67 - 88) there are two counterbearing bars, one which is =
quite close to the termination and one which is about an inch or so =
toward the tuning pins that is normally covered with felt.  In the next =
section down (47 - 66), the counterbearing bar is normally covered with =
felt.  This is in a section in which the area leaving the termination =
point (agraffes in this case) is normally left undamped in any way.  The =
other part of the problem is that the counterbearing height is not quite =
sufficient to get the string at 90 degrees to the pin.  My though is to =
put in brass half-ovals in these sections.  Will I be creating problems =
for myself?

We nearly always install brass half-ovals for this purpose. The =
principle is keep the string segment reasonably short and the string =
deflection angle high enough to efficiently terminate the speaking =
length without it being so abrupt as to encourage the strings to break. =
I wrote an article on this once.

Del