Soundboard Torture

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 22:31:25 -0500

------=_NextPart_001_0009_01C2F642.EF0127E0
This is what your soundboard wants to do when exposed to high humidity. =
Below is a photo of my mechanical moisture content (MC) meter. The =
wooden part is a 4-foot long by 4-inch wide chunk of soundboard panel. =
The panel is about 3/8 inch thick and has two ribs on the back (bottom =
in this photo) that are about 3/8-inch thick by 3/4-inch wide. The ribs =
were glued on when the panel and ribs were flat and at about 4% or 5% =
MC. The meter has been in an 85% to 89% RH environment for three days =
now. It seems to have nearly stabilized. I did not measure the crown, =
but as you can see it is somewhere around 6 to 8 inches.

 =20

Soundboard panels in pianos exposed to high humidity are trying to do =
what you see above. The stiff ribs and string downbearing pressure keep =
it from actually developing 8 inches of crown. And instead of being able =
to expand and produce this kind of crown, the soundboard simply crushes. =
No wonder soundboard panels develop pressure ridges and then cracks when =
they dry back down! The scale on the left goes from about 5.5% MC to =
about 8.5% MC. The panel should be in the range of 18% MC in this photo.

Fun stuff!

Terry Farrell
------=_NextPart_001_0009_01C2F642.EF0127E0
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...