Counterbearing (& Kowmung report)

Delwin D. Fandrich pianobuilders@olynet.com
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 20:37:53 -0800

Re: Counterbearing (& Kowmung report)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ron Overs=20
  To: davidlovepianos@earthlink.net ; Pianotech=20
  Cc: tourism@oberon.nsw.gov.au ; Hans Guldberg ; Barbara Morgan ; =
suspence@ozemail.com.au ; John Spence ; Peter Dickson ; Robert Smith ; =
llobster@ozemail.com.au ; santon@ozemail.com.au=20
  Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2003 4:00 PM
  Subject: Re: Counterbearing (& Kowmung report)

  Hi David and all,

  I've just returned from a weekend away at the Kowmung Music Festival =
(held each year in the picturesque Blue Mountains town of Oberon, 2 =
hours drive west of Sydney). Visiting artists the Kutrowatz Duo (Eduard =
and Johannes) from Austria were again most impressive. Similarly =
impressive performances were given by a number of Australian pianists =
and instrumentalists over the two weekends of the festival. On Sunday 22 =
the Sandy Evans quartet performed in the first jazz concert to be =
featured at a Kowmung Festival. Her outstanding artistry on Saxaphones =
was complimented by drummer Toby Hall, bassist Lloyd Swanton and pianist =
Allister Spence, with guest artist Peter Jenkin on bass clarinet. For =
many Kowmung patrons, this performance would have been their first =
attendance at a jazz concert. The standing ovation they gave the quartet =
would tend to suggest that jazz will become mainstream, alongside =
classical, for future Kowmung Festivals.

  For those who may be interested, the English language version of the =
Kutrowatz Duo website can be found at;
  http://www.duokutrowatz.com/English/english.html

  The Kutrowatz Duo performed on our piano no. 3 and a B=F6sendorfer =
225. The original plan was that they would use two of our pianos, but =
since we are still building piano 4, we hired the B=F6sendorfer 225 form =
the ABC Ultimo Center. While Eduard and Johannes are most proficient and =
sensitive classical pianists, they seem equally capable of turning their =
hand to jazz repertoire when required. Their two piano transcription =
performance of Dave Brubeck's Blue Rondo A La Turk was most =
exhilarating. Although it was not included in the programme, neither was =
the heavy rain on the tin roof of the Middle Creek Cattle shed. In the =
true spirit of professionalism, they decided treat the audience of 300 =
with a work which would cope with the poor signal to noise ratio. The =
audience responded to the outstanding duo brothers with a standing =
ovation.